- Dentists prescribe prophylactic antibiotics (ATBs) with routine recklessness… Many dentists irrationally prescribe ATBs before teeth cleanings and other procedures.
- Not a syllable in the ~2000 page health care reform law that affects dentists.
Dr. Kirsch has a very well written article along with nicely placed puns, but this seems to sum it up well:
When physicians and dentists prescribe unnecessary ATBS, there are many adverse consequences. Here is a sampling.
- Money is wasted.
- Resistant bacteria emerge that can be more difficult to treat.
- It teaches patients to expect and demand ATBs when they are not indicated.
- Potential of serious side-effects and drug interactions.